All popular scuba diving destinations around the world offer a unique underwater experience. Some are known for the abundance of marine life, others – for underwater caves and caverns, interesting wreck sites, azure waters, and other attractions. Cyprus, just like any other location in the world, is unique in its own way.
So what does Cyprus have to offer to scuba divers?
- First of all, there are many different types of dive sites to choose from. Whether you are looking to experience the thrill of a shipwreck or an underwater cave dive or take it easy and dive in from the shore, there are invariably enough dive site options to pick from. Have a look at a few of the most popular dive sites in Cyprus and watch related videos: Cyprus Dive Sites
- Most of the island’s scuba diving sites can be accessed directly from shore, which makes it easy for divers of all levels and abilities to visit places that are of interest to them. Certain dive sites, such as the famous Zenobia Shipwreck, can only be accessed by boat, but such boat rides are usually well worth the trouble.
- The island’s coastal waters are clear, temperate and warm, allowing scuba divers to pursue their underwater adventures practically all year round and contemplate marine life in very good visibility conditions. Currents, although present, are not very strong, which makes dive planning much easier, especially for beginner scuba divers.
- While it can get quite hot in Cyprus in the summer, the island’s climate is generally mild and the scuba diving season lasts for a long time – approximately 7 months. Underwater explorers usually start engaging in scuba diving activities as early as April and continue their adventures until the end of October, beginning of November.
- There are only a few potentially harmful marine animals that one can encounter in the Cyprus waters. Proper dive planning and taking necessary precautions, such as wearing protective gear and refraining from disturbing marine animals, is usually all that is needed to ensure diver safety.
- And last but not least, Cyprus is located in the heart of the Mediterranean – a few hours flight from virtually any location in Europe, which makes it an attractive and affordable holiday and scuba diving destination to visit.
We invite you to explore the wonders of Cyprus scuba diving with Azure. Join us on our next dive!